Day 20 Respect

 

Yesterday I attended the funeral of my sister in laws mother, an amazing lady and beautiful person.  Losing a parent is so incredibly hard, no matter how old they are or how prepared for it you should be. My heart goes out for her, and sadly I can empathize with her loss. Funerals are strange like that, they bring you back to the moment you hurt the most. I suppose pain makes us kinder more empathetic people. So after all my preaching this week about only dressing to please yourself, here I am with the exception to that rule. When attending a funeral it's best to dress with respect in mind, respect for the family and of the deceased. The funeral I attended was of a very classy, put together women. This lady was always dressed so properly, hair done, jewelry perfect. I chose a simple silk black dress, putting on a black cardigan to cover my shoulders, yes, in church they should be covered. I wore a simple strand of pearls and beige grown up shoes. It was not a day for me to have joy in my attire, just respect and thoughtfulness. When I die you're all welcome to wear bright Lilly Pulitzer colors for my family, but know your audience! 
Last night Tim and I had all four of our children home and all four of our grandsons here! The odds of everyone being together on a summer night are staggering! We ate, drank, played games, told stories and had Birthday cake for my son in law, it was the best night ever! I was able to get the illusive photo of our entire family, that will be a keeper!! Today everyone will scatter and drive or fly home but yesterday, was perfect. If loss teaches us anything, let it be to cherish every minute with loved ones, and appreciate how quickly life can change. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts