Day 319 SKJH

 

Started my day with a hike on Duval Trail right here in SK....wow! The Mountain Laurel was in full bloom and was everywhere you looked. Some spots resembled rolling hills with the full blooms cascading down onto each other. I'm no Mountain Laurel junkie but it's really a must see if you can. I'm once again in awe of the beauty right here in my own back yard! I changed into this fabulous JMcLaughlin dress to head over to CCMS for graduation. Possibly should have gone with flats since the ceremony was in a field but oh well. My dad was Principal of SKJH for 28 years and the school will always hold very special memories for me. CCMS is being closed after this school year and I was honored to be asked to attend the very last graduation. The building holds cherished memories for me, gymnastics, making the very best lifelong friends, learning how to balance social life and school work...my social life usually dominated. Teachers would often write that my social life gets in the way of my academic progress...shocker! My dad was my Principal for the two years I attended SKJH and I couldn't have enjoyed it more. He would give me money for ice cream, take me home if I wasn't feeling well and since my parents had divorced a year prior to me attending I was able to see him daily. He would give kids a ride home if they missed the bus and would go out of his way for teachers and students alike. Although it's sad to see the building close, a building doesn't make memories, it's the people that do and they will always be remembered. I often thank the young Rachel Smith for being such a great judge of character, choosing friends that the 58 year old me still loves. When you look at the young 11 & 12 year olds entering 7th grade, don't assume they have a lot to learn...they're smarter than you think. My dad would be so proud I was there for the last graduation ceremony, he was eternally proud of all the students, teachers and his career in education. Our community was lucky to have him and I was proud to share him with SK. I can still see him smiling from behind his desk... I imagine he was there with me last night smiling down on the 8th grade graduating class of 2023. If he could give advice to the students he would tell them to get involved in your community, volunteer, be engaged, never be a bystander. Cheers to SKJH and all the people that have passed through those hallways and waited for a ride on the wall. 

Comments

  1. Great Memories/ tribute to your father and CCMS school

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said and such great memories for you! ❤️🙌🏻❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautifully written Rachel. Yes some of the very best people in my life I met at SKJH! ❤️ CG

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy you were able to share in this memorable event!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ❤️ so great that you were able to be a part of that…love your blog…so heartfelt. Db

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts