Day 461 Baby Steps

 

Signs of the weekend are different these days but even without parties or fun outings the weekends surprise me with delights. Melissa texted early for our walk, allowing me much needed outside time and girl talk before heading up to the hospital. I had expected the drive to be easier, free from commuters but sat in traffic wondering where the heck everyone was heading?  I was amazed to find several open parking spots waiting for me when I arrived. Do people not visit as much on the weekends? Are employees parking in the visitor spots during the week? I was left with lots of questions but decided to just roll with my good fortune and enjoy my VIP parking spot. Tim is trending in the right direction, although not as fast as he or I would like. He's starting to get a bit agitated, ready to be home and who can blame him? The hospital is a tough place to get any rest and goodness knows the food at home will be better suited for his needs and ready upon request. He's eating solid foods again, with me carefully scrutinizing each item before allowing it to be consumed.  There seems to be a slight disconnect between the Dietitians recommendations and the kitchens idea of reasonable meals. I sent back two out of the three meals that were delivered for items that were more easily digestible. Before you think I'm crazy, dinner would have been American Chop Suey with gobs of red sauce and large chunks of beef. I can't imagine that being a meal of choice for anyone after a week of not eating!! I sat watching Tim with a sense of victory as he ate his chicken noodle soup with a few saltine crackers. I also made sure his tray could once again fit on both sides of his bed, pushing his encroaching roommate back over to his side of the curtain. Tims sister surprised us with a visit, seeing her brother for the first time since his big surgery. I'm sure she was relieved to see him doing so well, but equally concerned with all that he's undergone. She treated me to lunch and killed a bit of time with me between the morning and evening visiting hours, breaking up my otherwise monotonous day. Tim and I are both a bit tired of hospital living, ready for the peace and quiet of home and a moment or two of relaxation.  We are thankful for his nurses who have been amazing.   Anyone who has been in a hospital will agree they don't get paid enough and are the heroes of the hospital. I may be disliked by the kitchen crew but the nurses seem to agree and appreciate when I advocate for my man. I was home and in bed by 8pm, getting my rest so I can do it all again tomorrow, prepared for battles and hopefully more delightful surprises. With each day Tim improves, taking small steps in healing but baby steps are still steps and he's creeping towards feeling better every day. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts