Day 397 SKHS

 

It's been forty years since I graduated from High School, how can that be? I've been busy organizing our class reunion with my friend Cathy and it's coming up quick! I can't say I enjoyed high school, mostly couldn't wait to get out. It felt like prison to me, being cooped up all day going from room to room, having to sit all day...ugh. If it weren't for the amazing people I was incarcerated with I wouldn't have made it through. The friends I made within that harsh concrete building are friendships I still cherish today. I haven't remained in touch with everyone I went to school with so I'm looking forward to seeing all my classmates next month. It's so fun to see the once young faces all grown up...dare I say, old. Funny but we really don't care what each other does for work or how many kids  or grandkids, we just want to see those familiar smiles and hear the laughs we remember so well. I have always maintained that the young Rachel Smith was a very good judge of character and selected the very best friends, I'm eternally thankful to her. I'm also a bit confused, wondering how on earth forty years went by that fast?! Back in HS if you asked me about the almost 60 year old me I  would have laughed and called her an old lady...wait, am I? Now that I'm pushing 60 I think old is 80 or 90 but i'm sure once I'm 70 I'll push it out even more. Well, either way I'm thrilled I'll be seeing all my old friends soon, fortunate to be among those still around to attend. My very best friend throughout high school died several years ago. Not having her by my side at the reunion will feel strange but I suppose that's part of growing old. When I think of her I smile at all the fun times we had together and the silliness only we understood. Libby would like that I think of her often, in fact she'd try to haunt me if I didn't!! What I don't understand are the people that don't like to attend the reunions, that feel in some way they would be judged, that's just nonsense. It's an opportunity to reconnect, if only for a night with the people that helped you through some of the toughest years of your life. I can't wait, to see each and every one of my classmates this year and again for our next reunion and the one after that. I guess I better live to be 100 since I have lots of plans, imagine going to a 70th class reunion? It would have to be at noon and with a meal of soft foods or soup but I'd be there and I bet we'd see the spark in each others eyes of teenagers. 

Comments

  1. Aww…love the ending of your blog today! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will have to do annual reunion when we r in our 80’s. Class of ‘59 does this. My Dad goes every year. Wonderful tradition. Can’t wait for our 40th!! CG

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts