Day 541 Toot your own horn

 

Confident, strong willed, hardworking, loyal, funny, compassionate, beautiful me. I found myself cheerleading for everyone around me all day, reminding them not to be so hard on themselves for one reason or another. We are always our own toughest critics, never measuring up to the crazy expectations we set for ourselves. It's too bad people can't see themselves through the eyes of those around them that love them. We look at a friend and see all the best qualities, seeing small imperfections as part of a bigger picture of perfection. Tim has been struggling with recovery not going as fast as he'd like. I see his body working hard to heal and in need of patience, nurturing and time. Another friend has been dieting and isn't seeing results as fast as she'd like. I look at her I see her beautiful smile and listen for the joy in her laughter not ever measuring her fitness level or pant size. This year (yes its only 1 month in to 2024) I've lost a couple friends already, gone way too soon and sudden. There's nothing like the loss of a friend to remind us how precious life is and how important it is to appreciate the time we're given as well as how crucial it is to take care of these bodies we are blessed to rent during our lifetime. Taking care of our bodies is the least we can do, as a small token of appreciation. If I appear vain, you're darn right I am, I have worked hard all my life to take care of myself, try to eat right, exercise and always look my very best. Why not take great pride in the body we have been blessed with, embrace our quirks and slight imperfections. When I was four years old I cut my foot open and sliced the tendon to my middle toe, severing it and any movement that toe would ever have. For the better part of my life I tried to cover that toe whenever I could, standing in line at swim lessons wasn't easy! In my mind, everyone around me was only noticing that darn deformity, maybe why I developed such a strong personality to distract them.  Looking back it sounds ridiculous, I'm guessing there wasn't a child around me that looked twice at my feet or cared if they did. People are too worried about their own imperfections to notice anyone else's anyway! My big personality may have that little toe to thank, who knows, over compensation at its best. I know for sure, I'll continue to love myself, take care of myself and nurture my body and soul for however long I have on this planet. My wish is for those around me to do the same, look in the mirror now and then through the lens of a friends eyes....seeing all the beauty others see!! Time to get on the vain train, start tooting our own horns and rejoicing in this fleeting ride called life. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts