Day 566 Detours

 


A perfect Saturday date night after a fantastic comedy show. We had tickets to see Nate Bargatze in Providence for his 3pm show. I had carefully planned a great lunch, making a complete chicken dinner with all the fixings, fuel for the big day in the city. We had agreed to leave our house at 1:30, but found myself sitting on the couch, keys in hand, dressed and ready waiting for Tim to frantically try to get himself together on time....well, almost on time! We met Bridie and Greg at the show and everyone was excited for an afternoon of laughter. I've never been to a big arena for a comedian before, so this was a treat. The only famous comedian I've ever seen in person was Jay Leno, but it was way before he was a big deal. I saw him in 1985 when he performed at the Warwick Tent, a venue that closed ages ago. He was fantastically funny, clean humor that related to everyone.  Nate Bargatze's performance was also clean, no swearing or crudeness was needed to make the crowd laugh out loud. I don't find the crass, swearing comics funny at all, just not my sense of humor. However, I do enjoy when a comedian picks on people in the crowd, have always enjoyed watching people squirm, feeling uncomfortable, but there was none of that at this show. Belly laughs are good medicine, and to repeat my corny quote from the day, "If laughter is the best medicine, consider me well medicated". Tim told me how corny that sounded so I had to say it again! After the show we wanted to have a drink while we waited for the parking garage to clear. Unfortunately, each bar we walked by was more crowded than the next. Then as if calling to him, Tim saw two seats at a bar through a window and without looking at the name of the establishment, headed straight for the door. I could see myself trying to catch him, as if in slow motion, trying to catch him, reaching out but not being fast enough to stop him. I caught up just as he swung the door open allowing a nice gentleman to walk out of the bar called, The Stable. The man looked at Tim and I then looked squarely at Tim and asked if he was aware that he was heading into a gay bar?  I had pieced that together after reading the name, The Stable, but all my man could see were those two open seats at the bar. The man went on to say, we were more than welcome to join them, but at that point Tim and I had made the decision to move on, back to our car and out of the city. Our adventure then lead us to the Elks Lodge in Warwick, we've never been there before and not sure we will ever be again, but it was a great time. We sat among strangers who all became friends, were bought drinks and returned the gesture. Tim often suggests we check out other Elks lodges, but this was the first time we ever followed through. We decided our Elks, being 4 minutes from home is tough to beat, such Rhode Islanders! We may need to plan another date night, or day again soon, the unexpected detours add spice to our lives.... just wish they could all be a little closer to home. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts