Day 600 Muck Life

 

Visiting a horse farm was a small part of my day but left a big impression. After days of rain, the walkways were a mixture of mud and manure and even the grassy areas had become muck. Some of the horses were uninterested in me but this one followed me along the fence line, curious and eager to make friends and  have me pet her. When I was little, I had a pony, Mr. D, I use to love going out to the barn to feed him apples and bring him out in my backyard. My siblings and I would ride him bareback around the yard and although we loved him none of us ever became interested in riding as a sport. We had a neighbor who always dreamed of having a horse. She would come over and care for Mr. D each day, feeding him, grooming him and in return had free rein to saddle him up and ride him anytime, not a bad deal for either party! Mr. D had the company of goats, chickens, ducks and our cow, cheeseburger for a limited time. If I cold have a farm today I'd fill it with pigmy goats, chickens, cats and only a pony if I were lucky enough to find someone else to care for it. Having animals is a huge responsibility, requiring a great deal of time and energy, but the rewards are well worth it. Waking up and having to tend to the needs of others prevents us from becoming self-absorbed and gives us a daily reminder of how important our actions or inactions are to the world around us. My little chicks are the perfect example, they are growing at an amazing rate and soon will be mixing with my other girls in the coop, much thanks to all my care and Tims constant attention. Bridie arrived with the boys who were delighted to meet our new babies and eager to explore the house for new toys. After dinner we brought them to our Elks Lodge for the queen of hearts drawing, excited to be or witness the winning card being found. Well, hold your hats, the queen is still out there!! The person that had their ticket drawn found a five of spades, leaving the queen and three other cards remaining. The pot was at $25,000 and will continue to grow, guessing it will be close to $30,000 by next Friday! My Birthday happens to be next Friday, so I have plans and won't be able to attend the drawing. I hope no one wins without me there, I'd hate to miss it but going each week is getting exhausting! I can't imagine winning so much money...just think of all the chicken feed that would buy! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts