Day 647 80's Hip


 Heading to an 80's themed party this weekend had me digging out old pictures from the time period and brushing up on my 80's slang. People will dress outrageously for the party when in fact, we looked fantastic in the 80's. Yes, shoulder pads were in but paired with the tiny belts and big hair it all came together nicely. I taught aerobics in the 80's, wearing lace tights and sweatshirts that would fall off one shoulder in the most bodacious way. It's funny that each era believes they are the most fashionable and look back on others scoffing at what was in vogue. In the 60's mini skirts were in, followed by the maxi skirt in the 70's, you wouldn't be caught dead wearing a mini skirt in the 70's. The 80's opened the door to fashion options, punk rockers had their vibe, preppies sported ruby shirts and anything Izod Lacoste, hippies swank were clogs and bell bottom jeans, disco divas rocked gold lame and sequins. There were neon shoes, jelly shoes and everything in between. When invited to a retro themed party I go all out to best represent the era, without mocking it. People should be careful about making fun of past fashion trends, since what they think is fashionable today will become a  joke in ten years. I hang on to my wide belts and thin belts, my clogs and jeans with bell bottoms as well as tapered legs, wearing whatever vibe I want, knowing there's no right or wrong. I have maxi skirts and mini skirts, although at my age I should probably pass the mini's along. Maybe the 2020's have more in common than with the 80's then appears at first glance, although I'm certain no one in the 80's walked around in pajama pants, gag me with a spoon! I will be putting together my fancy party outfit, 80's style with nothing but respect for the era and the fabulous fashion it welcomed in. As I  pull out the aqua net and tease my hair for the perfect style, I'll take great care to represent the era. I wonder how many 2020's themed parties there will be in the future? I imagine guests will arrive wearing yoga pants, PJ bottoms, crocs and ripped up jeans, everyone carrying giant Stanley cups in a variety of colors. Oh, the fun that we'll have! I look forward to seeing the next fashion trend, anxious to see what society embraces as hip and trendy but confidently rocking my own gnarly vibe, I'm no wannabe. 

Comments

Popular Posts