Day 682 Values


 I may have been one of a dozen people in the state of RI that didn't spend the day at the beach. Apparently roads where backed up for hours and beaches filled to capacity, as we enjoyed a lazy day at home.  My son and I appreciated a beautiful walk along the bike path before the temperatures became too warm, chatting and breathing in the fresh RI air.  I love to stop along the footbridge to gaze at my alluring river, taking a quick break from the walk to appreciate the beauty around me. My youngest son came over  to spend time with his brother, play boardgames and eat lunch together. We all try to soak in as much time with my son as possible, since his visits are rare and never long enough. For years when he visited, just before deployments there was a feeling of panic, that it might be our last visit and I suppose I trained myself to not take a minute together for granted. When we arrive at the end of our lives, it will be the time spent with family that comforts us, thankfully, I'll have an abundance. I certainly doubt anyone will be on their death bed thinking about work, money, what concerts they missed or what sports games they didn't see, none of these things will bring much comfort in the end. I place importance on the things (usually people) that will matter in the months and years to come. I've come to realize not everyone feels this way or values the same things, nothing I can do about that but not something I'll ever be onboard with either. My son packed up to head home mid afternoon, a long drive back to Virginia that hopefully was met with minimal traffic. Fortunately, he was traveling away from beach traffic. Although his visits are few and always too short, the time spent gives us plenty of fish stories and memories to dip into for years. Staying home in our little cocoon for the day was a good call, if only I could freeze time!! 

Comments

Popular Posts