Day 787 Freeze Time


 When my daughter called to let me know my grandson, Cash would be solo for a couple hours, I jumped at the opportunity to spend time with him. His brother at a friends house and Cash had a rare night off from hockey practice and other activities, so it was just he and I..and Tim of course. First of all, holy cow, is he tall!! I think he's grown three more inches since I last saw him, don't all grandparents say that? Guessing he's got several years left for growing since he's only thirteen, fourteen in November, may not have even hit his big growth spurt yet..yikes. Cash is working on a school project and enlisted my help posting the project on social media. All eighth grade students have to think of a community service project, organize it, promote it and work on it throughout the year. He wanted to do something for Veterans and since the project is due before Memorial Day, a Veterans Day Breakfast was decided. I organized a breakfast for both holidays for years, until COVID hit and the world shut down. I couldn't be prouder to see him pick up this tradition, clearly having fond memories of the many years of tradition we had. He has made flyers, posters and is chatting it up at his school, but with no social media presence he knew he could count on his grammy for help. We sat, working on the facebook event for almost an hour, uploading his flyer and him hen pecking the description out on the laptop....why on earth aren't schools teaching kids how to type??? I explained to him that I type so fast because of old school typing classes.... not even an electric typewriter, the old fashioned ones that you hit the return bar to hear the sweet sound of a new line. My high school typing class has been one of the most useful courses to my older self, still have never had use for algebra. With the world revolving around computers, wouldn't you think kids would be taught proper keyboard usage?? Call me an old lady, but at least I can type with speed, no hen pecking for this old gal. Once I had bored him with my stories of antique typewriters and typing classes, we had dinner, listened to some songs he had never heard (Tony Orlando of course) and entertained each other until it was time for him to go home. I explained to him that studies show, spending time with your grandchildren helps grandparents live longer. on this note, I thanked him for extending my life by at least a few minutes with his visit and requested another one soon. I'm afraid if I blink, he'll be off to college!! I tried to get another date with him and his brother but looking at their hockey schedule, school and social lives, it's tough to squeeze in grammy time. I'll work on another grammy date, after all, I'm always up for adding another day or two to my life. Thankful for a dose of grandson time. Now, with all these fancy typing skills I'm wishing I could learn how to freeze time.... for just a minute please. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts