Day 789 Chicken Duty

 


With all my galavanting I haven't been able to keep up with the abundance of eggs my girls are producing. Tim doesn't eat eggs so the 8-10 eggs per day, becomes several dozen in no time. My daughter asked for eggs, never expecting the bin of eggs I sent her way, careful what you wish for. I boxed up another dozen for a friend and a couple more dozen for my son, still keeping a healthy dozen for myself. My new White Leghorns lay the white eggs and haven't skipped a day of production. They are called queens of egg layers for a reason! My newest chicks haven't begun laying yet, but I can imagine the abundance of eggs we'll get once they do. I can't remember the last time I bought eggs at a store and can't imagine eating them ever again, fresh eggs just taste better. How lucky am I to be able to walk outside, collect a quick half dozen fresh eggs and cook them up for breakfast?  I'm still happily in disbelief that nothing attacked them while I was away. I came home to the same number of hens in the coop, Tim taking full credit for keeping a watchful eye during my absence. Tim slept with an ear out for predators, fed them, made sure they had daily fresh water and collected eggs each evening, also taking care of feeding Peps, embracing pet care to the fullest. I'm sure he was happy to have me home before the coop needed cleaning, saving the dirty jobs for me. Glad he tuned his skills, since I'll be going away for a few days again this upcoming week. Somehow I ended up with back to back to back trips this month, all solo. One more quick trip then I'll be home for a while, ready to take over the daily to-do's and settling in on the home front. Until then, Tim's on chicken duty. 

Comments

Popular Posts