About time

I've had a gift card to Greenwich Bay Oyster Bar sitting in my pocketbook for about two years. Somehow, I'd just never found the time to use it... until yesterday.
I dropped my car off for an oil change, hopped in with Tim, and we carpooled to East Greenwich. Since he had to pick me up early, we unexpectedly found ourselves with a free Friday afternoon in EG. It seemed like the perfect excuse to finally cash in that almost-forgotten gift card and enjoy a few oysters.
We both loved the restaurant, although let's be honest... unless the stars align like they did yesterday, we tend to stick close to South County. One of the highlights, at least for me, came when I ordered a burrata salad. To my amazement, both Tim and the couple sitting next to us admitted they had no idea what burrata was. I have to admit, I felt just a tiny bit superior as I happily explained the creamy Italian cheese while enjoying every bite. An impromptu cheese lesson wasn't exactly on my Friday agenda, but apparently it was for everyone else!
After delicious drinks, fresh oysters, and my beloved burrata salad, we headed back to South County to pick up my car, which had been left outside with the keys inside after the shop had closed. Just another reminder of one of the many reasons I love living where I do. I'm guessing you can't get away with that just anywhere.
From there, we made our way to the beach club to enjoy some live music and the ocean breeze. We even wandered down the beach to George's Tiki Bar to check out the band there, grabbed another bite to eat, and then headed back to our club to finish out the evening.
Somewhere along the way, Tim decided he was starving. At exactly eight minutes before nine, he wanted to order food from the club kitchen, which closed at 9:00. That sparked a lively debate between the two of us about whether it's acceptable to order food in the final minutes before the kitchen closes. I say absolutely not. Tim insists that's what the posted hours are for. I reminded him that McDonalds has set the standard with their soft serve....try to order that late night...not a chance!
Our compromise? I agreed we'd stop at Taco Bell/KFC on the way home—a place Tim frequently suggests and one I almost always dread. I had absolutely no interest in Dorito tacos or fried chicken, but I patiently sat in the parking lot while Tim ordered enough food to feed what seemed like an entire family.
The only problem? The biscuits weren't ready and would take another ten minutes.
I was certain he'd say, "Forget it," but instead he cheerfully agreed to wait. I honestly didn't see that coming.
After waiting what felt like forever, Tim finally went inside to check on them. The employees looked completely confused when he asked about the biscuits. Apparently, they assumed he'd given up and driven away. Nope... there he stood, patiently waiting for his biscuits. Thankfully, they were finally ready, and he returned to the car with a triumphant grin and a warm box in hand.
I'll admit, I stole a bite or two of a biscuit, they weren't bad...or I was super hungry, but the rest of his fast food feast was a hard pass for me.
I guess that's what makes us work. I'll happily savor fancy burrata cheese and oysters while Tim is perfectly content with a Doritos Locos Taco and a box of warm biscuits. Different tastes, same adventure... and somehow, that's what makes our days together so much fun. Certainly never a dull moment together.
Somewhere between burrata and biscuits lies the secret to a happy marriage.
"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." — Robert Brault


Comments
Post a Comment