Silent Battles

A copycat photo shoot, Christie style... so much fun. Silly grown-ups!
My friends had all met up mid-afternoon for Motown Monday at Two Ten Oyster Bar, a bit early on a weekday for us working folks. Tim and I joined the fun as soon as we could, soaking up a little Motown and catching up with the same wonderful group of friends we'd shared dinner with on Sunday night.
They're all retired now, so I get to hear all about their golf games, leisurely beach days, afternoon cocktails, and blissful mornings with no alarm clocks. I'm not quite ready for all that yet, but I have to admit... it doesn't sound too bad. By the time I retire, I'll probably be so far behind on my golf game they won't even want me on the course. But knowing this crew, they'll let me play anyway. That's what good friends do.
Our visit was short and sweet before Tim and I headed off to meet my son for dinner at Kabuki. Delicious appetizers and beautifully presented sushi were waiting for us. I'm not much of a sushi fan, but I do appreciate how every plate looks like a little work of art, and the appetizers alone were worth the trip.
The mix of the evening was just about perfect, a little live Motown in the sunshine, a little dancing with friends, followed by a relaxing family dinner, all while still making it home at a reasonable hour. That's my kind of Monday.
Somewhere between appetizers and dinner, Tim and my son were laughing so hard they could hardly stand it as I told them about my ongoing battle with... a mime.
They both stopped and asked the same question:
"How have we never heard this story?"
Well... it's a long story for another day, but yes, a mime and I have been at odds for years.
Yesterday, my coworkers uncovered an old photo of me standing next to this particular mime at an event years ago. They enlarged it, framed it, and proudly displayed it on a shelf in their office. I walked in, completely focused on work, chatting away about business, when my eyes landed on that framed photo.
I froze.
"Wait... what the heck is THAT?"
Without hesitation, I grabbed the frame, pulled out the picture, crumpled it up, and tossed it in the trash while my coworkers laughed so hard they could barely breathe. Apparently, they found my reaction just as entertaining as the prank itself.
As I retold the story over dinner, Tim and my son laughed just as hard. Naturally, they had questions.
"Was she in full mime makeup?"
Yes.
"Did she say anything?"
No... she's a mime.
So our rivalry remains a very quiet one... but full of enthusiastic gestures. #SilentBattles
As I said, it's a long story for another day... and apparently an entertaining one.
Sometimes even mimes need to be set straight.
Good luck trying to get out of that box, lady!
Life has a funny way of packing a little bit of everything into a single day, good friends, family dinners, live music, plenty of laughter, and stories that somehow get even funnier with time. Mondays don't usually get much credit, but this one wasn't all that bad. Somehow I see a future filled with mime jokes coming my way... oh boy!
And if a mysterious invisible wall suddenly appears in front of me, I'm blaming the mime.
"Music and silence combine strongly because music is done with silence, and silence is full of music." — Marcel Marceau
Comments
Post a Comment