Caution

First things first... I'm fine, really. But it's always best to err on the side of caution when your body starts sending you warning signs. I've lost friends over the years who ignored symptoms or kept putting off getting checked out, and they never got the chance to regret that decision. If something doesn't feel right, don't wait.
For two days in a row, I had these strange facial twitches where one side of my face would seize up for about a minute. It was odd, unsettling, and definitely not normal. After a bit of juggling to get myself there, I headed to the hospital.
Things moved fast. Before I knew it, I was having a CT scan, followed by what felt like every test under the sun. At one point, I even had a Zoom call with a neurologist while lying in my ER bed... which, in my case, happened to be in the hallway because it was such a busy day. I have to admit, it was kind of impressive. The doctor was able to examine me virtually, ask questions, review my scans, and make recommendations without ever stepping foot in the hospital. Technology really has changed the way medicine works.
Honestly, the hallway wasn't all that bad. I had front-row seats to the entire emergency room. There was a constant parade of nurses, doctors, patients, and families, each with their own story unfolding. Across from me was a man who spent hours screaming profanities at the staff, furious that he was handcuffed to the bed... and, apparently, naked. After listening to his nonstop outbursts for a few hours, I was actually relieved to hear he was handcuffed. An ER really is a world of its own. You could probably write a book after spending just one day there.
I had told Tim not to come sit with me. It seemed silly since I was camped out in the hallway anyway. But much to my surprise, the doctors decided they wanted to keep me overnight. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.
By the time I finally made it to my room, I was absolutely starving. I hadn't eaten a thing all day and immediately asked if I could get some food. Not long after, a dinner tray appeared, and I inhaled it in record time. I have to say... the meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and carrots were actually pretty darn good! Hospital food gets a bad reputation, but I wasn't complaining.
Tim came to sit with me for a while before heading out to see a band. There wasn't much point in both of us giving up a Friday night while I mostly rested and waited. My daughter came right over, once I sent word I was in a room, I think she needed to see for herself that I really was as fine as I was telling her.
Surprisingly, I slept like a rock. The nurses woke me every couple of hours to check vitals, but I was back asleep almost instantly and they were amazed that every time they walked in, I was sound asleep. Tim and I have been talking about buying a new bed, and after one night in that adjustable hospital bed... We may need to broaden our search.
As I write this, all of my tests have come back looking good, which is exactly what I was hoping to hear. One doctor even mentioned that something as simple as low calcium can sometimes cause muscle spasms like the ones I experienced. Now that's the diagnosis I liked best, an easy fix.
The whole experience was a good reminder that our health isn't something to gamble with. I'd much rather spend a day hearing, "Everything looks fine," than ignore something important and wish I hadn't. Sometimes peace of mind is the best medicine of all... and if nothing else, I might walk away with a full belly, a newfound appreciation for adjustable beds, and one more story to tell.
"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live." — Jim Rohn

Glad to hear you are okay.
ReplyDeleteGood news ! 👍🏻
ReplyDelete