Roadie

Taking a front-row seat to what I think will be an amazing future for a talented young artist... I guess I'm well on my way to becoming a roadie!

My friend Christie's daughter was invited to sing a few songs with a local band during one of their gigs. Exciting for anyone, of course, but for a fifteen-year-old? It felt like watching doors swing wide open right before our eyes. She walked onto that stage and completely wowed the audience with her incredible voice, confidence, talent, and stage presence. Betsy and I have already decided that when she makes it big, we'll be working the merch table at all her concerts. Apparently, we've all got our future plans and my retirement plan figured out!

I had spent the entire day stretched out in the sunshine, soaking up another spectacular beach day, but I managed to drag myself off the sand, shower, change, and make it to the show in time. Betsy was there with her crew, Christie was absolutely beaming as the proud mom surrounded by friends and family, and the moment I arrived and settled in I knew the evening was well worth the trip.

Since none of us had thought to eat dinner beforehand, Betsy's husband walked across the street to grab some naan bread and somehow managed to smuggle it back past the less-than-friendly door attendant. We tore into that bread like we'd been stranded on a deserted island, savoring every bite!

Speaking of the door attendant... she not only carded everyone who walked in, but she examined each ID as if she were a detective trying to crack a major crime ring. Yes... I got carded. What?! I stood there completely confused. Did she think I was trying to pass for younger... or older? Maybe there was a senior citizen discount I didn't know about and she wanted to make sure I wasn't adding a few extra years to my driver's license. Who knows! Whatever the reason, the process definitely confused some people, irritated others, and slowed the line to a crawl. A small hiccup in an otherwise perfect night.

But I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the gentleman (using that term loosely) who first seemed completely smitten with Christie, then quickly shifted his attention to Betsy's daughter. He became so focused on her that I instinctively stepped in front of her, proudly announcing she was my daughter and channeling my inner lioness. Meanwhile, Betsy, the proverbial oblivious only child, continued happily bopping along to the music like a carefree prairie dog, completely unaware of the entire situation.

So many photos, so many videos, so much laughter... and the privilege of witnessing the beginning of what I truly believe is something very special. Years from now, if you happen to see me selling T-shirts at one of her sold-out concerts, just know... this is where my roadie career began.

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."Walt Disney

Comments

Popular Posts