Small Signs

How funny it was to drive by Old Mountain Field and see my Mahjong class advertised on the marquee! Truth be told, it was my daughter who spotted it first and texted me during the day. I made a point to drive by later just to see it for myself. Left to my own devices, I probably would have driven right past without noticing, so thank goodness for kids who pay attention.
I've continued teaching throughout the summer, surprising myself that I'm actually willing to give up beach nights for Mahjong. But it's been worth it. Every session brings a new group of enthusiastic beginners, all eager to learn the latest trend and discover what all the fuss is about.
By the end of the first week, everyone admits they're completely confused, but they can't wait to come back for more. By week two, they somehow leave even more confused, yet totally hooked. Then, somewhere during week three, everything starts to click. The tiles begin to make sense, strategies emerge, and before long, many have already purchased their own National Mahjongg League card, tiles, or other Mahjong accessories.
By the end of the session, they've not only learned a new game, but they've also made new friends. Phone numbers are exchanged, future game nights are planned, and little Mahjong groups begin popping up all over. It's no wonder the game has exploded into the mainstream.
I really think people are craving connection. They want reasons to get together that don't revolve around eating or drinking. Mahjong has a way of bringing people around a table, encouraging conversation, laughter, friendly competition, and genuine friendships. I've been lucky enough to make so many wonderful friends through the game, and one of my favorite parts of teaching is watching those same connections happen for someone else.
I'll be back teaching again this fall, expanding to two nights a week. And as excited as the students are to learn, I still can't decide who enjoys these classes more, them or me. Either way, seeing that little announcement on the marquee was a reminder that sometimes the smallest signs point to something much bigger. What started as teaching a game has become a way of building a community, one Mahjong table at a time.
"The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct." — Carl Jung


Comments
Post a Comment