wasting time

Betsy and I had been waiting weeks to see HeavyRescue at Ocean Mist, happily putting all the usual Sunday chores on the back burner. Christie's daughter will be singing with them this week, so we figured we'd call this a little roadie recon work. Important stuff.

It was one of those days that made even getting dressed feel like a chore. Hot, humid, and impossible to know what to expect. I came dangerously close to wearing jeans, thankfully I changed my mind and settled on a casual dress instead. It turned out to be the right choice because the bar was absolutely crushingly muggy. The air barely moved, and the disturbing scent of old beer mixed with sweat filled the room.

When the sky suddenly darkened and the rain began to fall, we rushed toward the door. For a few glorious moments, the cool air rolled in with the storm, and it was the biggest relief of the afternoon..and the fresh air was certainly welcomed.

The band was as good as ever, bringing contagious energy that had everyone singing along and keeping the dance floor packed. If this was our preview of what Christie and her daughter are in for, I'd say she's going to have an amazing time sharing the stage with them.

Of course, putting Sunday's chores on hold just means they'll be waiting for us on Monday. With both Tim and me lounging around all morning before heading out for music, the start of our week will likely be spent catching up. Hopefully we'll at least get that giant branch out of the yard so the lawn can finally be mowed.

My son had stopped by for a visit earlier in the day and was admiring all of my potted plants. Well... "admiring" might not be the right word. Instead of commenting on how pretty they looked, his brain immediately went to how much work they must be. "Do you actually water every single one of these every day?" he asked.

Of course I do.

He's always amazed at my ability to create work for myself, and honestly... he's not wrong. But he also admits there's no one better at tackling the same monotonous daily chores than I am. A compliment? Maybe. I'll take it.

I guess that's the trade-off. I spend a lot of time maintaining the little things that bring me joy, but every now and then it's worth letting the chores wait in favor of good friends, great music, and a make believe carefree life. The plants will need watering tomorrow, but for today, Mother Nature knew I needed a day off and took care of the watering for me, much appreciated. Sometimes wasting time is the most important task on hand. 

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."Bertrand Russell

Comments

Popular Posts