Low key

My day was filled with unexpected turns, and I enjoyed every one!
Waking up on a Saturday, it always takes my brain a minute to realize that I can relax a bit, take things slow, and enjoy my morning. Of course, for me, that meant dragging out my trimmer and getting to work outside, cleaning up the Jumanji-like landscape a bit. I always seem to do my best house or yard work in my pajamas, so if you're ever driving by early on a weekend morning... don't mind me!
Once I cleaned myself up, I headed over to Shepherd's Run to visit with Dawn for a bit before she headed back to Florida. We made promises for future visits and said our sad goodbyes. Those goodbyes are never easy, but knowing we'll see each other again soon certainly makes them a little easier.
From there, I headed to the beach. Even with the threat of rain, I just wanted an hour or so of sunshine. I invited my son to join me and, to my surprise, he said yes! I picked him up, and we settled into the sand, catching up and relaxing together. I love listening to his thoughts, ideas, and whatever new research he's currently interested in... he's a smart one!
During our walk along the seashore, I gathered a handful of beautiful rocks, and we both marveled at the vast beauty of the shoreline. We made it back to our blanket just as the first few drops of rain began to fall. We both agreed it would probably be a quick passing shower, but we were ready to pack up anyway, so the timing didn't bother us a bit.
Tim had big plans for the afternoon, heading off to the Rhythm & Roots Music Festival, but I had passed on that adventure. I wished him a good time and settled in to take what I thought would be a quick nap after he left.
Well... that quick nap turned into a three-hour sleep, and I woke up wondering what the heck had happened to the afternoon!
At that point, I could have rallied and joined my beach club friends for music, or I could succumb to the comfort of my bed for the evening. With absolutely no FOMO over any of the many options happening around town, I chose the latter. I settled in, watched nonsense on TV, enjoyed a bowl of ice cream and called it dinner.
My body and mind were clearly telling me they needed a break, and I was happy to listen.
Sometimes the best days aren't the ones filled with big plans or exciting adventures. Sometimes, they're a little bit of everything... goodbyes with a dear friend, unexpected time with my son, an hour at the beach, a three-hour nap, and ice cream for dinner.
It may have been a low-key day, but it was exactly the kind of day that leaves you feeling refreshed, grateful, and ready for whatever comes next. And I'll happily take one of those days whenever I can get it.
“Sometimes the most productive thing you can do is relax.” — Mark Black

Comments
Post a Comment