New Beginnings

Pretty Little Gifts... How Lucky Am I?

It was the last day of my Mahjong class for the summer, and I walked in expecting nothing more than one final afternoon of tiles, laughter, and the usual “Wait... what hand are you going for?!” conversations. What I didn't expect was for one of my ladies to arrive with a beautiful bouquet of flowers for me.

A teacher gift!

How lucky am I?

Of course, I happily welcomed those pretty flowers and headed home feeling incredibly appreciated. It was such a thoughtful gesture and one that certainly wasn't necessary, but isn't that the beauty of friendship? Sometimes it's the little things that remind you just how fortunate you are to have good people in your life.

Women have a way of giving gifts to one another that I just don't think men could ever fully understand. We buy each other little surprises, bring flowers just because, pick up something that reminds us of a friend, and continuously find ways to say, I appreciate you.

I seriously cannot imagine one of Tim's friends walking through the door carrying a bouquet or a little gift simply because he wanted to let Tim know how much their friendship means to him.

Although, to be fair, maybe buying each other a beer is their version of flowers.

Either way... I'll take the prizes!

September 1st arrived with a day full of rain, and honestly, the timing couldn't have been better. All of my new Sky Pencil Holly shrubs are settling into their new homes, and Mother Nature took care of the watering for me. Now that is what I call perfect timing.

I'm always happy to see the rain show up during the week, especially when the sunny weekends seem to bookend it. There's something kind of cozy about being inside on a Tuesday, looking out the window at the rain and knowing you don't have anywhere else you need to be. Let it pour while I'm working! Just kindly clear things up before the weekend rolls around.

After teaching my final Mahjong class, I headed out to celebrate with my friend Jen and her daughter, Fallon, who will be leaving for college in just a few days.

And somehow, another chapter begins.

I've had the privilege of watching Fallon grow up, from a feisty little toddler into a beautiful young woman. Although, to be honest... she's still got plenty of that feisty spirit in her!

I've known so many of my former dancers since they were little girls, watching them grow, graduate, find their way, and begin building lives of their own. They all hold such a special place in my heart. In so many ways, they will always feel like my kids, and I love seeing the people they've become.

So here we are... saying goodbye to summer Mahjong classes, sending another young lady off to college, enjoying thoughtful little gifts from friends, and welcoming September with a few rainy days.

There are still a few more days of rain ahead, a few more gifts to give, and probably a few more to receive. And while September may feel like the beginning of the slow slide from summer toward fall, maybe that's not such a bad thing.

Every season brings something new. New routines, new adventures, new memories, and sometimes even a new chapter we didn't realize was waiting for us.

For now, I'll enjoy the flowers on my counter, appreciate the people who put them there, cheer Fallon on as she begins her next adventure, and see what September has in store for me.

After all... if this is how the month is starting, I have a feeling there may be a few more pretty little surprises along the way.

“And suddenly you know: It’s time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings.” ~ Meister Eckhart

Comments

Popular Posts