Summer Camp

Oh, how we will miss our beach club, tiki bar & amazing staff that always has a smile waiting for us. we gathered with friends around the tiki bar, entertained by another fantastic band with everyone feeling as if it was the last weekend of a super-fun summer camp.
I personally never liked summer camp, but imagine if you did..you wouldn't want it to end.
My sister would go to a sleep over camp each summer with her friends, and she loved it so much she convinced my mom to send me... ugh! It was a church camp and a working camp, what the heck?! Not my idea of fun!
Seriously, they had kids rotate through chores and camp projects. Like building small bridges over creeks, setting the cafeteria tables, and who knows what else. smart plan for them, have kids pay for camp then make them do all the work, including landscaping, any manual labor...brilliant I suppose.
Thank goodness I had my friend Christy there with me. I slept in the upper bunk and she slept right below me. Every night I would reach my hand down she would grab it and we'd both dream about getting the heck out of there, counting down our remaining days of misery. But before we knew it we were being woken up again at the crack of dawn for church and more work... ugh!
But...if there was a fun camp in the universe, one where you could dance in the sand all night, laug with friends, listen to great live music and have an amazing staff to cook, clean and serve as well as do whatever maintenance needed... sign me up!
Thankfully, That's been our summer, spoiled, entertained and appreciative of every single minute of pampering. Surrounded by friends, with good food and drinks, and absolutely no bridges to build or cafeteria tables to set. (at least not by us)!
And now, here we are Friday night on the eve of three full days off, color me happy. I'm grateful for every summer sunset, every song, every night spent dancing in the sand, and every laugh shared around that tiki bar. If we're pretending this is the last weekend of our summer camp, I'm going to enjoy every minute of it!
And just for the record....after one week away at sleep away camp, I never went back! Apparently I just had to wait until adulthood to find the kind of summer camp I actually like.
“The summer night is like a perfection of thought.” ~ Wallace Stevens

Comments
Post a Comment