Williamsburg

​

Busy, busy day walking the “mean streets” of Colonial Williamsburg!

My mom and I headed out early, determined to squeeze as much as possible out of the day. As soon as we entered the historic district, I immediately recognized a familiar face from my last visit. I called out to her, and before long, the two of us were catching up and making plans. She invited us to play Mahjong with her later in the afternoon, and of course I said yes, if time allowed. Because apparently, no matter where I go, Mahjong finds me!

My mom and I then headed down the main street, wandering in and out of nearly every shop and museum along the way. There is something about Colonial Williamsburg that makes you want to slow down and look at everything, the historic buildings, the shops, the people dressed in period clothing, and all the little details that make you feel as though you've stepped into another time.

We stopped for lunch at the Kings Arms Tavern, where the staff was dressed in full colonial garb, including our entertainment, a gentleman singing old pub songs while playing a guitar. Our drinks arrived in a small punch bowl, and everything on the menu was authentically representative of the colonial period. And if it wasn't, I certainly wouldn't have known!

We sampled peanut soup, beef hash, and dessert called Snow Eggs, which was apparently one of Thomas Jefferson's favorites. And I have to say, the Snow Eggs were delicious! Who knew Thomas Jefferson and I would have the same taste in dessert?

After lunch, we continued walking down the street toward the Governor's Mansion, looping around and exploring along the way. There was plenty to see, and before we knew it, another hour had disappeared.

Then my phone buzzed.

It was a text from my Williamsburg friend, Kim, inviting us to join her and a friend for Mahjong in about an hour. Her friend, as it turned out, happened to be the mayor's wife.... Of course she was. I do tend to meet the most amazing folks in my travels.

Our hour quickly flew by as we squeezed in a little more exploring before heading off to meet them. And there we were, sitting at a beautiful outdoor table with my two new friends, playing Mahjong, chatting, laughing, and enjoying the afternoon.

My mom had been a little hesitant about playing, questioning her Mahjong skills and wondering if she could keep up. Well, she had nothing to worry about, she ended up winning TWO games! 

Before I knew it, Kim was inviting me to join her and a group of gals for a weekend in Florida, where they have a beachfront house. Sadly, I was already booked that particular weekend, so I had to decline. But the invitations didn't stop there. The gals quickly invited us back for Sunday morning Mahjong instead.

So many fun opportunities, and all from simply being my friendly self. 

By the time we finally made it back to the house, we decided we might as well go out for dinner. I wasn't even sure I was hungry anymore, but I'm always game for an outing. We ended up at a fancy-schmancy restaurant with a cool vibe and delicious food, and thankfully, reasonably sized portions. Although, with my son looking for a serious steak dinner, I'm not entirely sure the 14-ounce steak was going to be enough! I'll have to look into another restaurant nearby that serves a really good steak. There must be one!

All in all, it was one of those wonderfully full days where you start out with a simple plan and somehow end up with new friends, unexpected invitations, good food, lots of exploring, and plenty of Mahjong along the way.

And by the time my head hit the pillow, I was asleep in a flash. Apparently, the mean streets of Colonial Williamsburg can wear a girl out!

"A good life is a collection of happy moments.” — Denis Waitley

Comments

Popular Posts