Day 125 Favorite Kid


A busy weekend day turned into a fun night at home with friends. No matter how hard I try to get things done during the week, my weekends are full of a million errands. After running around all day, I was happy to be home for the night and even happier I had invited a few friends over to play games. I wore a casual jean shirt dress and couldn't have been more comfortable for a low key night at home. We played a variety of card games, ate, drank, laughed and had a great time. My son made a brief appearance indulging me by showing off a few card tricks and playing the piano for my guests. I would say he's fabulously talented but knowing how hard he practices to master new skills, instead I'll say he's an incredibly hard worker.  When mastering a new song he works on one section of the song hour after hour, day after day, until it is perfect. He's an accomplished classical pianist due to his desire for perfection and ability to dedicate the time to mastering each piece. He challenges himself to learn new skills constantly, amazing card tricks, creating origami or completing a Rubik's cube in seconds, all great fun to show off at parties! He thinks anyone could do the same if given the same hours of practice, I don't think so. I've told him for years that his brain just works differently than most, certainly different than mine! If locked away for years with nothing to do but a Rubik's cube I don't believe I'd come out with it completed. We all have the ability for great accomplishments, but hold different skill sets. He is always astounded at my capacity to create lifelong friendships with strangers, and my love of socializing...his nightmare.  His interests are all solitary in stark contrast to my outgoing nature, it's astounding he's my child! Fortunately we have a great respect, appreciation and awareness of our differences and admire each other for them. Wow... reading this you'd think he's my favorite child or something!?! You'll think the same when I write about the others, they're all my favorites and hold equally impressive qualities however only my youngest can dazzle you with card tricks! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts