Day 145 Dive Bar to the Rescue

 

What a fantastically fun night out with friends in Westerly, another page in my book complete! Last minute plans were made for an evening out for dinner and to see the holiday lights. I wore a simple black, silky,  t-shirt dress with my pretty red coat and a long Kate Spade gold bow necklace. Since I knew there would be a lot of walking I wore my smart large heal gold glitter boots.  My outfit was simply perfect for the night, maybe a tad cold as the evening progressed but the temps were mild for late December so I rolled with it. Tim and I picked up our friends and headed out for an early dinner at Guytannnos, the Westerly entry for my book. After dinner we went downtown to Wilcox Park to see the lights. We strolled through the park, checking out each display and reading little star wishes kids had written. I'm not sure how long they will keep this display up, but if you can, you should go see it! We continued on, heading to Perks and Corks for a cocktail, unfortunately we encountered an extremely rude wait staff, so much so that we walked out!! I can understand busy, hectic, although there were ample tables and seats available, but I'll never be ok with rude. There was no hi, how are you? Give me a minute? we were met with, "it's going to be a while" and "you can stand wherever you want, just stay out of my way", all in very curt tones. I quickly stopped Tim from ordering drinks and suggested we leave immediately. We walked down to a well known dive bar, Danny's , where we were immediately met with pleasant greetings from the bartender. Two men at the bar quickly stood up to give us their seats, seeing their drink marks on the bar, one of them wiped the bar with the scruff of his shirt... now that's above and beyond!! I'll take a glass of wine in a plastic cup any day of the week if it's served with a smile! We had a great time chatting at Danny's Bar and as the younger crowd piled in us older folks headed out. We walked along Main Street window shopping and checking out all the great restaurants, we were all amazed at how lively the town was after 10pm, our little town seems to shut down at 8:00. When we walked by perks and corks my friend and I both flipped off the building, so much for mature adults. Oddly, it made us feel better and we laughed at the absurdity of their rudeness. We all agreed we should visit downtown Westerly more often, it gets overshadowed by the fanciness of Watch Hill but is really a not so hidden gem in RI. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts