Day 363 Litter stories

 

Another beautiful beach day, thank goodness for weekend sunshine! Once August hits the scramble begins to not let summer slip away without doing everything we dreamed of all winter long. Long days at the beach are always right at the top of that list. I have gotten into a groove of picking up trash along the beach each time I visit and am always amazed at the amount of plastic that can be found. Remember those plastic cigarette holders? Who even uses them anymore? Every time I pick up trash I find several of those darn plastic holders and grow more confused. Are they fifty years old finally washing up on shore or could there be a new smoker using the holders and throwing them in the ocean? Maybe it's someone out at sea throwing them over board? Each one I pick up now has a new storyline in my mind. The last one was a woman standing on a boat soaking in the sunshine as she had a smoke, wearing a pretty green dress just like mine. Having just placed her cigarette into the plastic holder and taken her first drag, she was startled and fell overboard. Everyone on the ship quickly rescued her but her cigarette went into the water and the plastic holder along with it. Only to be washed up on shore three years later and picked up by me as I walked along the beach! Thankful she was ok, I gladly picked up her trash, after all, it wasn't her fault.... could be exactly what happened. I might have to head back to the beach and discover whatever the ocean brings to shore for me to find, along with a new fantastic story that goes along with each item. Today I'm grateful for my never ending imagination, walks along the beach and sunshine...oh, and a plastic cigarette holder or two. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts