Day 379 signs

 


Both Tim and I woke up and went about our Monday morning back to work routine without a second thought to the fact it was our anniversary. Of course we remembered once at work, mid morning Tim sent a text and I responded as if I knew. I've often said that meaningful days can't be determined by a set date and I suppose this proves it. We both agreed to take our anniversary off from work to spend a special day together going forward, that will help us remember! As I arrived home Tim was eager to take me to dinner, determined not to let the day go by without doing anything special. Since the traditional gift for year two is cotton, I made this cotton heart as a sign of my love. It's the thought that counts,  although this was pretty cool. We had a great dinner at Kabuki and enjoyed the Monday night half price appetizers, oh what a pair we make! I was so eager to share with Tim my encounter during the day. I was walking by a woman who was trying to get questions answered at a counter. She gestured over to her son to come read something and started using sign language to ask him to explain. I quickly responded to her in sign and the two of us had a lengthly conversation all in sign language. I was able to answer all her questions as well as enjoy a few laughs as I told her how bad my singing must be. I'm sure it was, but she reassured me It was fine, I'm sure she was just being kind. I haven't had an opportunity to use my sign language skills in years but surprised myself how quickly it came back. Ages ago I learned American Sign Language at RI School for the Deaf with my daughter and her best friend. The three of us went every Monday night for three years, when the girls were in high school. It was our girl time, a time for me to spend time in the car driving to the city for class with just Jessica and Veronica. Looking back, I'm a bit amazed they kept coming with me. the three hour class with a 45 minute drive up and back made for a long night! It wasn't cheap, easy or convenient but If I could go back I'd do it all again for the time with my girls and the smile of relief on the woman's face I helped. I've been told by both my daughter and her best friend how much the time meant to them, time is of course the greatest gift we can give, that and a heart made out of cotton balls. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts