Day 393 Labor Day '23

 

Labor Day 2023 might go down in the books as the best beach day of the season, blue skies, warm water,  endless sunshine and temps in the low 80's. I'm so fortunate to live in the Ocean State and certainly have never taken it for granted. I had a sink full of dishes, guests bed sheets to be changed and toys to pick up after the weekend of family but that didn't stop me. I packed up and headed to the beach after my morning walk as if I didn't have a care in the world. I love being the first person on the beach, claiming whatever seashore real estate I choose and sitting quietly alone watching surfers and seagulls. I sat and watched as the beach filled with everyone wishing each other a happy end of summer. I refuse to let it end until the official date in September, although I'll be happy to see the tourists leave. Crazy thing about living in South County, there's a constant influx of people. During the summer we are flooded with tourists that invade our beaches, restaurants and town. Once the tourists leave we have URI students that move in, have crazy parties in rental properties, invade the bars and drive like wild people. This invasion is also what keeps our community vibrant and interesting, there's certainly nothing stagnant about South County. For those of us who live here year round and who have grown up here, we watch all the goings on just like I sat and watched the folks arrive at the beach, with curiosity,  delight, gratitude and pride, all the while protecting my small square of personal space. The dynamics of the town may change this week, but I'm guessing we'll have a few more beautiful beach days before the air is too cold and we're all too busy apple picking and decorating for Halloween. I'm thankful to Mother Nature for the perfect weekend weather and to the universe for placing me in South County as my home. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts