Day 395 Back To School

 

With all the kids heading back to school it's only right that I post an old school photo. I believe this was second grade roughly 1972-73. I was so cool with my gold rimmed racer glasses and David Cassidy hairstyle. The shirt would probably be a hit today if back on the shelves, checks, florals, bold prints, it had it all. I think school photos are taken to keep us humble throughout our lives, lord knows I have more than a few I would like to bury and never let see the light of day. I'm not sure how kids are so darn cute when they are equally so awkward. I was possibly the most awkward looking kid ever, with hand me down clothes from my brothers, glasses that were usually taped to hold them together and  haircuts from my mom, didn't all moms back then think they were hairdressers? I was told I needed glasses first year of school, I had one eye that worked just fine but one had a stigmatism and was about 20-400 vision. They went ahead and put me in glasses and a patch on my good eye to force the bad one to work, what a look! My parents told me it was fine, me with little glasses and an eyepatch wouldn't even be noticed. Well that turned out to be far from the truth. The very first time we stopped over to my parents friends house I ran inside to find Melissa (yes, the same Melissa I am still friends with) when she saw me she immediately ran away and cried, she was afraid of me and wouldn't play with me for ages! Fortunately I only had to wear the patch for a year or so, glasses alone were a piece of cake. Eye glasses back in the day were stylish, expensive and it was rare to get a pair more than once a year so if you broke them, tape was the fix. I still have several pairs of my childhood glasses, they became such a part of me I couldn't part with them. I have seen a few frames lately that are absolutely retro remakes, I could pull out a pair from the early 80's and fit right in today! Styles all cycle back, even the ones we hope to never see again. I've always said I'll wear clogs no matter what and I'll always love bellbottoms. 70's styles were fantastic with big bold prints and cool vibes. As the kids head back to school this year with their own sense of style and awkwardness, I know that someday they'll look back and think, what was I thinking as well as, I was one cool cat! We should all keep an eye out for this years fashion, we might just see my old school shirt make a come back....never know! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts