Day 408 My German Kids

 

Last night with my German guests, taking in one final sunset by the water. As excited as they are to head home, see their families and pick up their lives, they are also filled with sadness leaving our beautiful ocean state. They have really become Rhode Islanders, appreciating our little state for it's small town charm, friendly people and easy way of life. They have packed up dozens of bags filled with clothes and material items but the best things they will bring back are the memories and friendships they've made. I'm already encouraging them to visit again after all, Europeans are known for taking long vacations! They've  been calling me their American mom and I love that they have felt so cared for. After visiting the ocean one last time we dined at Matunuck Oyster Bar, one last delicious meal in the US. The kids ate lobster enjoying every morsel knowing it would be the last fresh lobster until they visit again. They treated Tim and I to dinner, thanking us for taking them in and helping them out during their visit, not necessary but very thoughtful! They also gave us a frame with several photos of our last few fun days together. It will make me smile every day to see my German kids on my family photo wall. Hopefully their parents are aware of what amazing young people they have raised, they must be!? I can only imagine how happy they will be to have their kids back home and hear first hand about all their travels. I'm sure one of these days Tim and I will travel to Berlin to visit and I'll meet my German families. There are some people you just know will remain part of your life, haven't I always bragged about making the greatest friends? I'll be learning how to use What's App, the European way of texting, ugh. Teaching old dogs new tricks isn't easy but I'll give it my best. Hopefully I've shown the kids a thing or two about New England hospitality and they will carry home with them a feeling of belonging, knowing they will always be welcomed as family. I bet we haven't seen the last of my Germans!! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts