Day 416 Swimming 101

 

The sun finally came out after what seemed like ages of rain. The soggy ground and dampness might take a few days dry up, holy cow has the rain been relentless. You can see the Newport Bridge in this photo, from an angle that can only been seen when visiting Jamestown. Our little ocean state is packed full of scenic views along with must visit locations. Interesting factoid,  although we are the ocean state most of our children don't know how to swim, crazy!  Swimming lessons are so important and something that not everyone makes a priority for their children or themselves. My mother made it a point to have me and all my siblings take swim lessons from an early age. She didn't know how to swim so the thought of her four children sailing and going to the beach each year must have been terrifying. Our swim lessons were the only formal lessons we had as children, we attended lessons at the URI pools religiously for years. I hit a road block after advancing so fast I was too young to join the Jr. Lifeguard program so needed to wait and  unfortunately, I I never went back to become a lifeguard. My children attended lessons as I did, at URI. I sat in the upper balcony watching them swim for years, it was noisy and uncomfortable but important so we went. My mother even attended swim lessons herself when she was in her thirties and went on to become a confident swimmer, kind of amazing. There's a big difference in being comfortable in the water, playing, swimming around and being able to sustain long periods of time or challenges in the water, training is important. As I write this I'm wondering if my own grandchildren have had lessons? I know they took lessons when they were very young, putting their little faces in the water and learning how to hold their breath, but not sure if they have been trained in stroke techniques? With the lifeguard shortage in New England, anyone with swim experience and willingness to get certified could also snag a great paying job. Living by the ocean with all the most spectacular views, learning to swim seems a small price to pay. With approximately ten people drowning each day, most of which are children, there's no question it's a price we should all pay, and training that should be prioritized. What a preachy morning this was! Oh well, hopefully I've inspired a swim lesson or two, it's an easy fix for a devastating threat and a very small price to pay to enjoy our ocean state and it's beautiful waters to the fullest. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts