Day 429 Florence

 

When you think of Italy, the delicious food, incredible art and historic sites in every direction, that’s Florence. Around every corner is another sculpture, bakery or magnificent building. Standing in the town square you can imagine it being the city epicenter filled with news of the day and folks hustling about. Tim and I walked for hours enjoying each spot more than the next. I would be remiss if I didn’t mention how crazy the drivers are here! Its as if they are playing a game of chicken with every car they encounter, the boldest always prevail. I could enjoy the craziness of the traffic much more on level ground, I’m still recovering from driving along the cliffs to Sorrento. After a morning of sightseeing, eating treats from various bakeries and dodging bikes, scooters and cars we settled in for lunch just off the main square. After posting a photo on Facebook I received a message from a friend asking where I was. I quickly replied that Tim and I were in Florence only to be asked again, but where?! I told him the name of the restaurant and within ten minutes he was sitting with us!!! I had no idea he was living in Florence for a bit and was again surprised at his fluent Italian! Plans  in the works for a dinner date once we’re all back in RI. I often say what a small world it is and continue to be proven right! Tim and I both loved Florence and agreed you could spend weeks there and never get tired of it, although your waistline might not be able to keep up. The drive to Livorno was long enough to put both Tim and I to sleep. Although, I’m still not convinced the Italians didn’t drug us with all their delicious food and wine!  We were in bed by 10pm, a fail in Tim’s mind but I was happy to be a nightlife failure and embraced the comfort of our bed and the quiet of the ship. One thing is sure, Florence was a win! Great food, chance meeting with a friend, friendly people and art at its best, worth the early bedtime I’d say. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts