Day 456 chicken soup


 Awake before the birds for first surgery of the day, the best schedule slot to have. I woke up five minutes before my alarm, which had been set for 3:45am, ready to give Tim his last round of meds and get to the hospital bright and early. Once we arrived, he was shuffled off and I was sent home, it was going to be a while. I came home and made good use of my time by tending to my chickens, who are always happy to see me, ironically also making chicken soup and scurrying around the house. I didn't expect the operation to take as long as it did, so by the time the surgeon called I was anxiously awaiting word. The five hour surgery had gone well, was a difficult case but the outcome was good, phew! I wouldn't be able to see him until he was out of recovery, another long wait. I arrived at the hospital and waited for almost an hour before finally getting a call that I could see Tim, four hours in the recovery room was again, longer than I expected but glad everyone was taking such good care of him. Tim looked tired, hungry and very happy to see me. I sat holding his hand as he dosed off and would wake up for a minute or two. At one point he woke up and asked me not to leave, said he liked holding my hand, he must not have realized a team of wild horses couldn't have pulled me away. I fed him ice chips,  liquid gold to the tastebuds after surgery. I watched him rest until a food tray arrived with various clear liquids. then helped identify the variety of choices. He determined the warm broth was his main course so set to drinking that down before moving on to Italian ice. We sat listening to the noise of his roommates television until I finally turned Tims tv on to the same channel for the visual, volume compliments of his roomie! Payback will come once the roommate hears how loud Tim snores throughout the night! I will bring Tim my new iPad with my fancy noise canceling headphones, just in case he wants to drown out the hospital chatter. When visiting hours ended I was booted out for the night, so much for wild horses! I arrived home to find my cat waiting for me at the front door, eager for food and attention. Peps will be Tims spirit animal during his recovery, so I need to keep her happy. Before collapsing into bed I sent thanks out into the universe for everyone that sent good vibes Tims way, the love of so many people was felt and no doubt helped carry us both through a trying day. Tim will be back up and about in no time, ready for our next adventure, but not before he gets lots of love, rest and attention and enjoys a bit of chicken soup.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts