Day 460 A Dogs Life


 It's starting to feel a bit like Groundhog Day, each day eerily similar to the last. I arrive at the hospital at least 30 minutes prior to visiting hours to get one of the few coveted parking spaces, then onto the lobby to wait. I have to appreciate the hospitals rules, healing takes place when we rest so limiting visitors isn't a bad idea. With each room having at least two patients, imagine how annoying it could become if the floodgates were opened? Tims new roommate seems to be trying to gain more real estate in the room, pushing his tray and a chair beyond his limited curtain space. Tim texted me in the night complaining that he was feeling cramped, not able to have his table tray on that side of the room any longer, also knowing I'll rectify the situation. As I sat in the lobby waiting for the 10am clock to strike to allow entry, the therapy dog waited to makes its rounds. This working dog was clearly well trained, followed commands and only approached people if requested. I'm not a fan of dogs, so was pleased to see its restraint. Out of nowhere and all at once a little dog started bounding towards the therapy dog full speed, barking loudly. The security guard who had appeared at first glance to be slightly lackadaisical stomped on the little dogs leash with lightening speed as it tried to run past. The dogs owner came to grab the leash, apologizing over the perpetual barking and tried to pull it away. This little dog was apparently also a service dog but was clearly not trained in any way. The bigger dog remained calm and unaffected by all the commotion as the little dog was lead out of the building. All the excitement certainly made the wait time fly by and gave me a new appreciation for the security guards skills. Upstairs, Tim was resting, unaware of all the excitement a few floors below. I'm sure the therapy dog helps folks feel better, those that are dog fans anyway, but now I have a new found fear of being hospitalized, unable to speak with a dog at my bedside! At least the event gave a little shift in the monotony of hospital life, careful what we wish for I suppose. 

Comments

  1. If you are in the hospital and cannot speak, I will be sure you have a therapy cat…❤️db

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts