Day 473 Hunters

 

Trying to blend in with white fire isn't so easy. My little hunter spent hours down by the river stalking the ducks, to no avail. Tim and I watched her watching them as we all soaked in the beautiful November sunshine. Our river has always provided entertainment, watching ducks, seeing the Great Blue Herron fly over searching for fish, turtles sunbathing, the river doubling in size after a big rain, it's an ever changing view from our backyard. When my kids were little they'd play in the backyard, the river providing a natural boundary protecting them from wandering too far.  My boys fished daily, mucked around exploring and some days were too busy to come inside, even for lunch. I delivered many sandwiches down to the rivers edge and was always happy to do it.  It's not a clean river, was once used by the dye mill up the street to discard used water and was known for running various colors depending on what the mill was dyeing that day. When my dad was young he'd walk past the river on his way to school and enjoyed the variety of colors. Fortunately, it's much cleaner these days, but certainly not clean enough for swimming, even if it were, I've seen the size of snapping turtles coming out of it, no thanks! The snappers venture out in the springtime to lay their eggs on high ground. I've had one measuring at least three feet lay eggs along my front walkway. I watched her from a safe distance, they may be slow but are also fierce and can reach great distances with their long necks for a bite! Peps may think she's stalking the ducks but I often wonder what might be stalking her as she hunts? She's a little cat and would be easily snatched up by a hawk, easy prey with her white fur. Somehow she manages to be the dominating force, catching small creatures and bringing them to my doorstep. After a busy morning by the river we enjoyed a beautiful Thanksgiving feast, no hunting needed to complete our meal. Although Pep would have preferred duck, our turkey was delicious! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts