Day 489 Creative Talent

 

I went out of my way to attend a craft fair, just to buy one of these amazing creations! My friends daughter  watched YouTube videos to teach herself how to crochet, then began making stuffed animals completely from her own imagination. She's fourteen years old now and has been making them for about a year, selling them at craft fairs and making them upon request! When I visited their house a year ago I was able to see the very start of this creative journey and was and still am in awe. Here she was at thirteen years old, sitting in her bedroom, watching YouTube crocheting videos. She asked her mom if she could please buy her a starter kit of needles and yarn and took off with her little kit like a rocket! By the time I arrived at the fair she had sold almost everything, no surprise there! I happily bought a little snowman and requested a couple special orders. I loved seeing her there, selling her creations, receiving the much deserved praise for her work and seeing her entire family supporting her, mom, dad, sister and brother who came from college to show support. With love and support I'm sure we can accomplish anything, although my skill set will never include crocheting. I walked through the fair, one table after another of folks showing and sharing their talents, impressive to say the least. Wouldn't it be nice if we all got back to making gifts instead of giving retail shops our money every holiday season? Tim once made me a cartoon drawing for Christmas, based on events from our vacation in Mexico. He is a talented artist, not in the Rembrandt class but has his own flair and could have had a future as a cartoonist. I imagine Tim would rather click a button on an amazon cart than spend days drawing a gift, which makes it all the more special.  I use to bake each person on my list their favorite cookie or candy treat, it took hours upon hours to bake all the different scrumptious morsels but they were always well received. My day was busy with errands and chores but the time I took to support a new creative artist and her talents is time well spent! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts