Day 500 Happiness & Tears

 

Happiness is home made, or so they say, in this case it proved to be true! My dad had many great one liners but was known to live by and recite this sentiment often. When I opened a package of beautiful Kate Spade cocktail napkins, a few years ago, I was shocked to see it in print. I immediately pulled it out of the package so it wouldn't be used and discarded, not knowing what I'd do with it. Until a couple weeks ago when I picked up shells on my beach walk, painted them and used that little napkin to decoupage the shell for my stepmother. Years in the waiting but it was worth the wait. When she opened her present she slowly read the pretty gold words, then burst into tears. I felt badly for making her cry but she reassured me they were happy tears. I knew she'd like my gift but holy cow, did she love it. I haven't decoupaged anything since grade school, but think it came out pretty nice, I even fancied it up with gold trim! I'm thrilled I was able to give her a beautiful memory of my dad and although she cried we also laughed. He was a funny guy and known for living his best life, as we all should. Teri and I reminisced, telling stories about my dad and feeling his presence, oh, how he'd love to still be the topic of our conversation! He'd also be so proud of her, how she's carried on living her life to the fullest while never wavering in her love for him and his memory. He would also be happy to see that she and I have remained close and thrilled we still share his sayings, jokes and laughter. As we discussed our morning fitness routines over a glass of wine, we poured another, why not! After all, everything in moderation, including moderation. Cheers to living our best lives and to simple home made happiness. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts