Day 502 Old School Ways

 

The arrival of grandchildren makes the holiday season brighter. Dragging out old toys and games along with a new gift or two had the kids in constant action mode. After hours of playing, Tim turned on Polar Express, possibly needing a rest more than the kids. We had wanted to watch an old classic but trying to find Rudolph or Frosty on a steaming channel was't easy, sure you can rent them for $9 but that's crazy! I'm sure I have the movies on an old dvd somewhere, although not sure I still have a DVD player set up. Not everything is easier as time goes on,  certainly not cheaper, and the next generation pays for convenience without hesitation. We ordered pizza for our movie night and Tim and I being the old folks refuse to pay an additional $6 for delivery, we're willing to drive the three minutes for pick up. Tims daughter laughed at us saying delivery is worth the fee, no doubt thinking we're thrifty old folks. My son in law and I went out to pick up free of charge and laughed that between the movie and delivery we had saved almost $20. Yes, some things are worth delivery, groceries during busy seasons is one of them. My groceries will be coming to my front door, bagged and ready to be put away. That delivery will save me over an hour of shopping, bagging and lugging bags to and from my car, the luxury of service worth every penny of the $6 fee,  I may need a few additional items but the bulk of my shopping will be done and delivered before 9am. Seems convenience is becoming more and more of a requirement than a luxury, not sure the difference is noticed or appreciated. I read something the other day about pushing your car, jumping in to pop the clutch and smiled at the memory of doing it. I wonder how many people read it and had no idea what that was all about. Today there's Ubers for rides, grub hub to deliver from any restaurant, Zelle or Venmo to send money and cell phones for constant contact and with all this nonsense I sometimes miss the slower pace and peacefulness of old school ways. A night at home with family, without constant interruption from social media, calls, texts and folks antsy to connect to the outside world. This holiday season I may request cell phones be put away, technology set aside, the radio, yes free radio, be turned onto a Christmas channel and everyone enjoy time together the old fashioned way! Board games will be dragged out and I may even ask everyone to sing a carol or two! I can make the rules and enjoy doing so, after all, I'm the grammy. Reading through my blog today, oh boy, is my age showing! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts