Day 509 Cards

 

The holidays aren't over as long as cards are still arriving! I was thrilled to hear from my friend all the way from Germany. She is proof that new friends can be made in the most unlikely circumstances. If you've been reading along you'll remember when I came home from a trip to Block Island with new friends. I love the thought of someone so far away carrying a slice of RI and my friendship with them. My friend Camilla is living in Berlin now, she was only in RI for grad school for a year.  I think of her and her boyfriend Philip often and imagine they'll have to come home for a visit before too long. I say home since I consider my home theirs, having had them stay with Tim and I, they became part of our family. When they packed up to leave there were a few items they couldn't fit into their suitcases. I kept these items in a small pile in the guest room, for when they return and to remind me of them. Seeing my hometown through their eyes brought me such joy. They appreciated each new experience as everyone should, embracing new foods, cultures and events to the fullest with open hearts and minds. Other than my family there's nothing I treasure more than friendship and love it when the universe puts a new friend right smack in your life path, as if giving you a gift. Treasured friends don't come along every day but it's important to be ready for when these rare occurrences come our way. Imagine the friendships that might go unseen?? I look forward to 2024 with optimism and excitement, imagining the endless possibilities of adventures, visits with family, friends and the opportunities ahead to meet new friends. Who knows, there might even be a trip to Germany in my future?? The years continue to fly past, faster the older I get, making me more appreciative of each and every gift the world has in store for me and eager to unveil the next. With all the love surrounding me, I may keep my Christmas cards up for an unreasonably long time. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts