Day 516 Balance

 

An antique Carnival Glass candy dish makes the perfect home for my rock treasures. Ok, I have dishes throughout my house for rocks, but I think this is my favorite. There's something perfectly in balance between the fragile antique glass and the strength of hard stones. Isn't balance what we all strive for? It seems to be a life long struggle, balancing our time, healthy choices and indulgences, balancing expenses and the desire to spend, oh, the list could go on and on. I'm pleased that for the most part I balance things well, but admit the struggle. At the moment I'm working on patience, not my strongest personality trait. I'm most impatient with myself, aren't we all our own hardest critics. I've been reminding myself that progress takes time, some strides moving at snails pace. I step on my scale and want to see all my numbers improving, not wanting to wait the months it will take to change the tides. I want to be stronger each time I do pushups, not willing to accept my body can't do what it once found so easy. Since we can't fool ourselves with realities it may not be a bad thing to kick ourselves in the ass when needed. We are our the toughest critics of ourselves but can also be our greatest cheerleaders to our own successes. I have earmarked my Birthday as the point I expect to see progress, a solid four months from the time I began running and actively working towards a stronger body, although gains in a week or two would have been nicer. Working at bettering ourselves is something we should all be doing, although taking a hard look at our weaknesses isn't the easy. Self awareness might be one of the greatest attributes a person can have, but appears to be rare these days. How often do we see a person that looks like a hot mess and wonder if they have a mirror or a person in yoga pants that clearly couldn't survive a yoga class? Self awareness seems to have been replaced with delusion in some cases. It's not always physical, some folks boast superiority with no basis for it, or great intellect without the awareness of their own ignorance. These people are the toughest to expect self reflection to creep in, they think they already know it all. "It is impossible to teach a man what he thinks he already knows" Epictetus, is a quote I have next to my desk and read every day, reminding me that I have a lot to learn and to be open to new knowledge. It's amazing how often we block incoming information, brushing it off with the belief we already know it. New ideas, updated information and new discovery is what moves us forward in life. Striving to maintain flexibility of mind requires as much work as my morning exercise routine and one I hope to practice more of. My lucky rocks are solid, hard and a reminder of great strength, inside a glass dish that is fragile, breakable, requiring great care and gentleness, yet has held together for a hundred years. The beauty in their balance reminding me to be fragile and gentle but hard when needed....and after that yoga pants comment maybe I should work on being nicer! Good Lord! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts