Day 521 Rain

 

Rain, rain and more rain, creating flooding all over the state. Right here in my backyard I'm on higher ground so can enjoy the view of my river rising without fear of being underwater. Only once in the 35+ years I've lived here that the river came up halfway into my yard but even then my home was dry. I love to watch the river when it's so high with its strong current, although oh boy does it leave a mess when it goes down. My little river never fails to entertain with ducks, egrets, turtles and the occasional kayaker but doesn't typically have a dazzling current, so when it does, I don't miss out on watching it. Sadly, whenever there's flooding all the litter from the streets goes right into the water and holy smokes is there litter. The nips are in abundance as well as plastic water bottles, beer cans and a host of other trash. I'm not sure who's still throwing garbage out on the sidewalk but they really need to stop. It will be interesting to see what I find after this storm, I'll keep you posted. The flooding everywhere made for interesting driving routes, detours and traveling through lake like puddles. I always turn around than drive through unknown depths of water, don't drown turn around! The drowning isn't you, its your engine, think you've made it through the water successfully, you may not see the damage to your engine or breaks, just not worth it. I took several alternate routes to get to work but made it safe and dry so no complaints. My kids use to laugh at me whenever they'd head out of the house on a rainy night, I'd warn them of puddles and hydroplaning. Now they tease me saying, "do you know what happens when it rains...puddles" but I don't care, I'm sure it still slows them down and makes them more aware. We'll be getting more rain over the weekend and I'll be watching my river throughout the storm. Imagine if this were all snow??? Stay safe & dry on high ground and watch out for puddles if you're driving and for the love of Mother Nature put your garbage in the trash! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts