Day 546 Making Strides

 

I walked away from my cleaning project...right down the bike path! After my run, Melissa and I braved the morning cold for a walk as the sun began to rise. Sunshine has been scarce for the past two weeks, making the glare of its rays was a warm, welcome surprise. We briskly walked our usual route, bundled up with our hats, mittens and scarves and warm winter coats. We spotted a couple Great Blue Herons in the river and a lucky squirrel enjoying a feast of a discarded bagel, carb overloading but happy with its find. I'd like to say after our walk I came home to finish my project but instead got distracted, fixing Tims protein shake, ordering a new bathroom faucet and a myriad of small projects. Tims liquid diet has morphed into a soft food diet, one I'm sure his tastebuds are overjoyed for, pallet fatigue was beginning to set in.  He's savoring mashed potatoes, avocados and any foods I can puree, mash or grind. It may sound tough but healing takes time, patience and an abundance of care. Each day he feels a smidge better, his body accepting the new changes and adjusting to them as needed. The human body is truly a marvel, its ability to heal itself and bounce back from just about anything is miraculous. Although his surgery appears to have set us back, it has ignited a greater appreciation for our bodies and set us both on a course to better health. We are eating with maximum nutrition in mind, exercising more and focusing on our bodies being in their best shape, the silver lining to our troublesome months. Tim has been walking on the treadmill every day, taking it slowly but doing what he can. I treated myself to a second walk after my chores, this time with my friend Carol. We walked the same route I had walked with Melissa but with the warm temps of the afternoon sunshine it felt like a different world. Getting together for a walk provides the greatest backdrop for conversations with a bonus of feeling accomplished and refreshed afterwards. My watch keeps track of my steps and at sunset I had logged 30,000 steps, which I think translates into about Fifteen miles.  No wonder I crash hard once I hit my pillow at night! Its a good thing I work during the week or there's a strong chance I'd be like Forrest Gump, walking (rambling) for no good reason across the country. Being outside, even in the cold winter air, refreshes the body and soul. Even the same walk delivers different discoveries each time, just waiting to be uncovered. With all that beautiful nature waiting for me, its no wonder I struggle to clean my room! 

Comments

Popular Posts