Day 547 Too Much

 

When cleaning my room I found so many wonderful accessories that had been buried in the mess. This turquoise, silk, boa was tucked away with ordinary scarves when it deserves to be hung in a prominent position. When I say accessories matter, this piece comes to mind. What else could take an ordinary black outfit and turn it into a visionary delight? I have a few (hundred) favorite accessories, a white, ostrich feather purse, fabulous costume jewelry as far as the eye can see, colorful scarves that I don't wear often enough, handbags for any occasion and shoes, marvelous shoes. With the current trends of tiny houses and Marie Kondo's nonsense of minimalism I seem to be swimming against the tide. I'm happy with a closet packed with clothes and trinkets everywhere, no tiny house for me. Why on earth is there this crazy competition to have less these days? As Mae West that said, "too much of a good thing is wonderful" I couldn't agree more! You'd think all those hours in the depth of my closet would inspire me to trim down, clean out and simplify, instead each item I pulled out I loved more than the last. My eye's devoured the beauty of each piece as if starved for style and color. If I'm lucky enough to live to be an old lady, I'll no doubt still have this silk boa and can picture myself wearing it daily...heck, I may even be buried in it! My kids will curse me when I'm gone as they are left with the task of hoeing out my wardrobe, they won't care about the fabulousness I've left behind, but they should! Don't they understand how outrageously fantastic my costume jewelry is??? According to Marie Kondo we should look at each item and determine if it gives us joy.... her theory being, we can thank an item for its use and get rid of it, keeping only the minimal amount of everything and each item having its place. This method backfires on me, I look at each piece with more joy than the last, keeping everything and being grateful for the beauty that surrounds me, abundance, beautiful abundance. The big cleaning event of 2024 has unearthed a plethora of new wardrobe pieces, once buried, now back in the rotation. I may have to clean and organize more often, finding my own fashion treasures and inspiring new outfits. Mae West was right thinking too much is wonderful, as was Lilly Pulitzer when she said, "life is a party, dress like it"...don't mind if I do! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts