Day 551 Brothers

 

Little rows of trucks, puzzle pieces scattered, tiny shoes at the door and monogrammed water bottles on the table, all signs of our favorite youngest visitors being here! I made it through the long week, by the skin of my teeth and was happy to arrive home to our grandsons and of course their mom. I had bags of groceries to put away and three year old Timmy immediately declared he'd help me. He reached into one  bag after another identifying each item as he handed it to me. The groceries held his attention for a while then he moved on to playing with two puzzles, dumping the pieces all into one pile, not the best method but then again, he's three. After a scurry of activity, Tim turned on a movie, hoping to calm everyone down or maybe just have an excuse to sit himself. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was the movie of choice, rolling it all the way back to 1968. I remember the movie well as did Bridie, Tim could only recall seeing it once when he was a child but we all remember the scary, long nose, child snatching man in the long black coat with tails and top hat, played by Baron Bomburst. Although the movie has a missing (or dead) mother, scary villains and stars Dick VanDyke it wasn't made by Disney. Apparently, all the movie creators back in the day were on a quest to give children nightmares. I'm not sure the boys were as enthralled with the movie as the three of us adults, especially Timmy, who was more interested in making sure his brother didn't have a chance to hold whatever matchbox car he wanted. Mack, like most older brothers, let Timmy think he could have his way, until finally the car in question was handed over. Oddly, when it comes to brothers they tend to want the one car the other holds, no matter how many choices are in front of them, it's just the way of brotherhood. At one point Timmy had gone so far as to threaten to bring his car upstairs and hide it from his brother, willing to not have it himself to avoid giving it to his older brother...that's determination! Fortunately, I raised two boys so all these antics are familiar to me and now I can enjoy watching from another perspective, the grammy view. I loved raising my children, but remember how exhausting it was, I'm better rested as a grammy and acutely aware of all their little tricks and schemes. I cherish the tiny little hugs I receive, knowing how quickly they grow up, my oldest two grandsons proof of that! Being a grammy is one of life's greatest gifts, a reward at the second half of life. I'm going to try and make it until my title changes to great-grammy, imagine that?! I better keep up with my exercise, eating right and taking good care of this old body. I'm sure I have more grandchildren and great-grandchildren to meet. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts