Day 554 Storm Prep

 

The talk of the town is the impending snowstorm, expected to drop between 3" and 7". Winter storms can change direction swiftly, making them not easily predictable. I'm often asked what I do to prepare my chickens for storms and cold weather. My answer, not much, they are birds. Chickens stay warm by huddling together perched happily on a roost. Their feathers provide all the warmth they need, nature providing them with all the winter warmth they need.  It is important that their perches be at least 2"-5" to allow them to have their feet rest flat so they can cover their featherless feet with their warm bodies. A narrow perch that leaves their feet curled around it, exposed, can lead to frost bite. Preventing their water from freezing is the most difficult task throughout the winter. I purchased a heated dog bowl that works like a charm, also have an official electric water feeder made for chickens but find the dog bowl is easier. My girls are spoiled so in preparation for the storm I cleaned out their coop and gave them a fresh layer of pine shavings, soft, warm and cozy. My birds have endless food, water and shelter unlike wild birds who struggle throughout winter storms. I'll be putting out extra bird seed for my wild feathered friends and hope they all had time to construct nests that might provide  a safe haven to weather the storm. I love the storm prep scurry, people scrambling to buy shovels, ice scrapers, batteries, bread and milk and whatever else they can purchase to make them feel like survivalists in the tundra. Being an A type personality, I've got a storm prep bin on the ready at all times. Heck, mine has subcategories for winter snow storms or summer hurricanes. Flashlights, batteries, lanterns,  life straws, playing cards, duct tape and just about everything you can imagine is packed away, on the ready if needed, and I was never even a Girl Scout!! I haven't had a need for my storm bin, but knowing it's there gives me a sense of security. There's been no snow to speak of this year, no sledding or snowman building, making this storm a welcome event for kids and fun seekers. Some folks see shoveling, plowing and work while others just want to fall down onto a soft white bed of powder and make snow angels. Time will tell how much snow we get, the anticipation is exciting! Not much makes a house feel cozier than watching a winter storm through a window,  warm and cozy by a fire, sipping on a cup of hot chocolate. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts