Day 557 Supersized

 

Lunch date with a dear friend brightened my day even more than the abundant sunshine. It's funny how we can meet people every day and some instantly stick with you, becoming forever friends. Yao is one of those people! She makes my soul happy so of course, I keep folks like her close. When she texted me, inviting me to lunch my response was instant with an enthusiastic, "absolutely". How nice to meet a friend in the middle of my workday, selecting a restaurant within minutes of my office. We ordered our meals and  discussed how incredibly over proportioned American meals have become. My salad alone could easily have fed a family of five.  Yao explained to me that in Singapore the portions are smaller and you are expected to finish all your food. No take home boxes there and if you don't clean your plate you're charged an extra fee for wasting food, yikes! She said the waitresses will help you out and try and stop you from ordering too much and avoid paying extra. As she and I eat each ate a fraction of our meals we decided next time we'd order one meal and split it, only makes sense. Fortunately, we were able to get take home boxes and bring our leftovers with us to enjoy as another meal or two...or three. It's no wonder with portions fit for giants, American's are so large, we are a supersized country and it shows. Yao and I will make another date soon, plans for dinner next time, hopefully our friend Katie will join us, another person that makes me smile. The weekend ahead appears to have no time for lunch or dinner dates. I've got a basement to finish cleaning and as Tim reminded me, I have a bedroom to paint. Not sure it's my dream for a three day weekend, but I'll do what I can to get all my projects done and hopefully have time to squeeze in a tiny slice of fun. Hopefully we'll have weekend sunshine so I can sneak out for a walk or two, I have to battle those large portions with equal amounts of exercise if I don't want to become supersized! 

Comments

Popular Posts