Day 559 A Taste of France

 

No Saturday morning rest with my basement project overflowing throughout the house. Up early, write, run then get to it, cleaning, organizing, you know...all the fun that comes with cleaning a basement after living in the same house for almost forty years. The term, shoveling shit against the tide comes to mind, at times it felt as if I was moving the same crap from one room to another. Although, I managed to get rid of several garbage bags full of stuff for goodwill and several more of straight garbage, small steps as I chip away at the iceberg. I felt fairly accomplished when the basement had sufficient room to set up my treadmill and create a space to workout. It will be nice to do my run then close the door and not have to walk around exercise equipment in my family room. Instead, I'll be in the cold basement, with the washer and dryer, surrounded by shelves filled with all the stuff I couldn't part with and a cobweb or two,  we'll see how it goes! I was still in my PJ's cleaning at 3:15 when I received a text from my daughter in law asking if I could take her tickets to a cooking class in East Greenwich. She and my son weren't feeling well and didn't want the tickets to go to waste, of course, up for a time challenge,  I said yes. The short notice lite a fire under me, I had all of forty five minutes to find a friend to join me, shower, get dressed and drive thirty minutes to the class location. I called a friend who lives in EG, who happily agreed to meet me, jumped into the shower, got dressed and was off, arriving on time!! I thought we were going to make crepes, figured it would be a quick class but turned out to be an entire meal. The course was classic French Countryside, making Cog Au Vin, Lyonnaise Potatoes, Arugula Salad with lemon vinaigrette dressing then of course crepes with berry coulis, Julia Child would be so impressed!! My friend and I lucked out and sat with two other gals who turned out to be wonderful cooking mates. The cooking lesson was fun, although the meal itself wasn't new to my cooking repertoire other than the crepes. With my mother being French Canadian, I grew up with French cooking and have continued making many traditional French dishes. I grew up understanding the importance of having the right colors and textures on the plate since we first taste with our eyes. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the crepes were to make and might give them a go for my next dinner party. My friend and I both agreed we'd like to try another class, next time without being thrown right into the frying pan with such short notice. I went to bed with a sense of accomplishment, basement relatively in order, acquiring new cooking skills and proving I can be ready for anything within fifteen minutes! If that was my Saturday, I can't wait to see what surprises the rest of the weekend holds for me!

Comments

Popular Posts