Day 565 Luck of the Irish

 

With Valentine's Day in the rear view mirror, I'm ready to celebrate life, luck and all that is Irish. Although I've never had my DNA checked, I doubt there's much, if any, Irish ancestry to be found, that won't stop me from celebrating. I carefully pack up all that is pink, replacing items with shamrocks, pots of gold, rainbows and green items galore. St. Patrick's Day has always been among Tim's favorite holidays, he's a proud Irish lad and enjoys having a day of debauchery in honor of his heritage. Before Tim came along, I  celebrated by cooking corned beef and cabbage, but that was about the extent of it. Now each year I don green garb, go all out with decorations and willingness to attend crowded pub parties. My ancestry is English and French, I may have to throw a big Bastille Day party and see how well Tim does honoring a French holiday. He certainly has never embraced traditional French Canadian cuisine, but will continue to have it served at meals regardless. I have always loved learning about different cultures, traditions, folk tales, histories and most of all people. When my kids were young I would have international dinner nights cooking a traditional dinner, decorating the table in authentic colors and fabrics and playing music from the country I was introducing. One of my pet peeves is walking into a restaurant and not hearing music representative of the culture. Who wants to eat Chinese food while listening to American music?? Prior to St. Patrick's Day I may need to brush up on lyrics of traditional Irish tunes, I admit I might know the tunes but certainly not the words to any of the songs, although, that won't stop me from singing. I already have my outfit ready, top to bottom laid out and ready for a party.... too early? My Irish mate will wait until an hour before an engagement to shower and frantically search for festive attire while I sit waiting, dressed and ready. I can't complain, all I needed to do was google characteristics of Irish men,  and it was right there... they are funny, charming but not known for being much help around the house and certainly not concerned with punctuality. It also clearly states that St. Patrick's Day will never be the same again, the most accurate of all. It's a good thing I roll with it, put my best foot forward, ready for an Irish jig, spilled beer and silly songs. With months to prepare, I can't wait to see what Tim does for July 14th to honor my roots, La Fete Nationale is bound to be a blast! 

Comments

Popular Posts