Day 567 Precious Time

 

A body in motion stays in motion....or so I'm hoping! By 9am I had completed my two mile treadmill run and walked three miles on the bike path with Melissa. Our early morning walk was one of the coldest of the entire winter so far. We were bundled up in our down coats, hats and gloves but could still feel the bitter cold on our legs and faces, walking a bit faster than usual to finish our route. I love having freedom on the weekend allowing me time to take a walk or do whatever I want, nothing beats it. The more we have on our plate makes doing what we want with our time more valuable. I try not to waste time, as it seems to be the most precious commodity, so when my friend asked if I wanted to join her at the beach club to learn a new game my brain immediately filled with everything I should get done at home. Well, I pushed the chores to the back burner and headed to the club. I joined a group of gals to learn the intricate game of Mahjong, a game that has been played for over 300 years in Asia. Holy cow, is this game difficult to understand but now I'm committed to mastering it. Mahjong has become super popular in senior centers all across America. I figure I'd better learn now and  become proficient so when I get old I'll be the best player among all the oldies. It may take a few years so if you're already over sixty, you better learn quick! I'm also impressed that a game with such intricacies is so popular with older folks, aren't their brain skills suppose to be reduced? Well, don't underestimate any older person who's playing this game, they are clearly still as sharp as a tack. Maintaining a sharp mind is as important as preserving a healthy body, so although my day was filled with walks and games, it was all for a good cause. Time is precious, it's important that we waste it wisely...said the wise aging future me. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts