Day 581 Welcome

 

I just couldn't wait any longer to get my babies! Fortunately, Tim was as excited about our new chicks as I was (maybe more) and not only encouraged me to get them, made the drive with me to pick them up. After talking about the RI state law being a minimum of twelve chicks, we called a tractor supply right over the Connecticut boarder and to our delight, our neighboring state has a six chick minimum, yay! We inquired about what breeds they had and after a bit of research our minds were made up and we were on our way. No Easter Eggers but I'm pleased with the three breeds we chose and happy my long wait is finally over. We bought two Golden Comets, they produce brown eggs and are known for being great layers with friendly temperaments. Two Sapphire Gems, large brown egg layers, known to be docile and friendly lastly, three White Leghorns! The Leghorns will be my only white egg layers of the flock and are known as queens of egg-laying! Tim and I packed up our tiny chicks, bought a giant bag of medicated crumble and headed home, happy with the new additions to our family. The tiny chicks had their cage waiting for them, with a heat lamp ready they were warm and cozy. They will be inside for a couple months and require lots of care as babies. Once they get big enough to handle moving outside they'll be visible to my flock but not with them for a while. It takes weeks to introduce new chicks to a flock safely, but for a happy group it's worth the investment of time. Speaking of time... our clocks jumped forward an hour for daylight savings time, yay! Everyone around me was grumbling that they would somehow lose an hour of sleep when all I envisioned was the extended daylight I'd see in the evening. The jump forward also made me feel a little bit less like a lunatic, I now wake up at a reasonable 5am....check me out! The time shift means I'll be driving home from work in sunshine, have time with my chickens in the evening and still have plenty of time in the morning to accomplish everything on my crazy list of must do's. Tim wasn't as thrilled with the time shift as I was, throughout the day he kept referring to what time it "really" was....no wonder his body takes longer to acclimate. The shift in time is another wonderful sign of spring, clearly on its way now. Baby chicks in the house, crocuses blooming, daffodils and rhododendrons have buds ready for sunshine, just waiting to bloom. The world around us is waking back up after a long winters nap and I am thrilled to welcome her and any time of day! 

Comments

Popular Posts