Day 589 How will you be remembered?

 

This old postcard of fishermen at Salt Pond is from the 1960's, back when visiting South County still required promotions. It just so happens that they used a shot of  my grandfather (wearing the red shirt) for this old school postcard. Does anyone even send postcards anymore? The idea of having our words written out for the world to read as they travel through the mail is't something I see this new generation embracing, they may not even be aware there's special stamps for such cards! I have this piece of old south county memorabilia framed and displayed, as it should be. It makes me smile to see my grandpa living his best life, catching fish and hanging out with his buddy. He embodies unconditional love to me, as a family members should. He always had a warm smile, kind word, joke, a kiss on the cheek and was ready to whip up a batch of jonnycakes anytime me and my siblings wanted. I'm sure there were times he was in a bad mood or got mad, but I certainly never witnessed it. People should keep in mind how they will be remembered, especially by children. Our actions and attitudes are imbedded in children's memories and there's no escaping what they will remember about us. I hope my grandchildren remember that I always hugged them when they arrived at my house, laughed and played games with them, let them eat, drink and be merry throughout my house and that they were always valued to me above anything else. I know people that don't allow kids to eat on their furniture, worry about finger prints throughout their house and get mad when kids run amuck playing and having the very fun kids should have. I feel sorry for these people, little do they know these little people will grow up and remember they were valued below the cleanliness of a house..yikes! I've had kids visit, make messes, even break items and I've never said a word about it, why would I? These little people are exploring the world around them, testing boundaries and looking for adventure, letting their imaginations bloom. I wish all grownups could see a postcard of themselves, what would yours be and how would the kids around you remember you from it in the years to come? I may need to create an old school postcard of myself for my future grownup grandkids, hopefully it's one that will make them smile and fill their hearts with the unconditional love they will always get from me, for eternity. What's so great about a tidy house anyway?! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts