Day 592 I'll love you forever


 We're only as happy as our least happy child... isn't that the truth?? Funny, no matter how old our children get, when they are hurt, our eyes see them as if they were babies again! Being a mom is the greatest gift life reward us with but also causes us the most stress and pain. Anyone that thinks parenting is finished once kids grow up and move on has no idea the depth of connection between a mom and her children, most moms anyway. I woke up early, even for me, packed a few last minute things and was in my car heading out by 2:45am. I made it through New York and over the George Washington bridge before traffic started to accumulate, phew. Once I hit the Jersey Turnpike it was easy going, until Baltimore but even that was too bad as I drove along entertained by my own thoughts. When I entered Virginia, my eyes were treated to visual delights all around, fields of yellow daffodils and trees in full bloom. Although the temps here are similar this week to RI, signs of spring are a few weeks ahead of us. The rural countryside, with farms, long wooden fences lining cherry trees and driveways,  historic battlefield signs throughout delighted me during the last leg of my trip. I arrived at my sons house at 10am, eager to lay eyes on my boy, hug him and take all his pain away if possible. Being laid up on the couch is no fun but being laid up and in pain is the worst. All in all he looks great, other than his bad ankle and fortunately the new blood thinner has started to take effect, slowly but hopes are the clot will dissipate soon. He can't stand up for more than a minute without pain rushing in and his leg turning purple, so keeping him on the couch is imperative. We sat, chatting all day,  enjoying each others company, telling stories and as we sat I could feel my stress level reduce every time he smiled. I know I can't shield my kids from life's trials, but oh boy, do I wish I could. When my son joined the Army and was heading off to war, I remember telling him he was going against my sole purpose on this planet...to keep him safe. It was a dichotomy that my brain just couldn't come to grips with, never will, but off he went year after year, aging me with every deployment. I cherished the years my babies were little, giving them my utmost attention, valuing them for the precious gifts they were and guiding them as they grew into the amazing adults they are today. I'm just about the luckiest mom on the planet and once my son is feeling better I'll be the happiest mom as well... as long as my other kids cooperate and stay healthy too!!! One of my favorite books by Robert Munch said it best, 
"I'll love you forever
I'll like you for always
As long as I'm living
My baby you'll be."


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts